Verse

Proverbs 22:6. Train up a child in the way that he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it.(NASB)

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

DIY Colored Rice and Creation Themed Sensory Tub

All Good Mommies Use Sensory Tubs!

Chill out. It's a private joke, even a jab at the whole intensified 'supermom' image you see on Pinterest.  I kinda can't stand the 'perfect' image blogging mommies create of themselves. Makes the rest of us feel ad that we aren't good enough!!  But we ARE!!  

Then What's the Deal With Sensory Tubs?

They're just a fun, multi sensory way to sneak in extra learning. Remember, little kids learn through experience.  There really is, in my humble opinion, no real reason to make a kid sit down at a table to get their education until they're at least 5, but not really even then. The world is they're textbook, real life consequences are their lectures. They just need guidance at this age. So I made a sensory tub. For my base, I chose rice. I colored it by mixing in blue and green cake colors (regular food coloring works great!) to make a sea green. Add a little rubbing alcohol. It helps it dry fast, possibly sets in the color. I've never seen instructions that don't include the rubbing alcohol. Rest assured, it evaporates and doesn't leave a smell or alcohol on the rice. Rice isn't a good choice for littles that might put it in their mouth, though....


I wanted it to dry overnight so I spread it thinly over cookie sheets, and stirred every now and then.  I started it after dinner and it was pretty dry by 11, but I stirred it again anyway and left it overnight.

In the morning I added white rice or sea foam, and cotton balls for clouds.  


SuperT had a blast with the added scooping, measuring and stirring utensils.  He did great a keeping it in the tub too.  The Batman, on the other hand was asked to leave after the third time of making a mess (twice on purpose). 


Here's what tomorrows will look like.  That's when God added dry land and plants.  I wish I had more plantlike play items.  I haven't made or purchased anything to add for day 4 when God added sun, moon and stars, so no picture.


Here's day 5


Day 6


The rest of the creation unit, it will remain like this.  When its over I'll put the toys away, recycle the cotton balls for other crafts and rice for our next sensory experience.  

Make sure kiddos wash hands before and after play to cut down on how germy the rice gets.  

You can adapt this to so many units or play!  Hope you enjoy!!




  

No comments:

Post a Comment