Verse

Proverbs 22:6. Train up a child in the way that he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it.(NASB)

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Snow Ice Cream and Depression

Snowy Play
  
This week when it snowed on Monday I had some depression.  Nothing to worry too much over, just the 'normal I get it every few weeks' type.  I do my best to not let it affect my parenting or my relationships.  As a result, however, it does affect my house hold duties.  I normally have nothing but procrastination and laziness standing in the way of getting my housewife duties taken care of. Hey, I think I've actually been pretty good at it lately!  Depression changes that a bit though.  It makes me pretty useless. It's painful to get out of bed.  It hurts to look at the sink of dishes while children are screaming joyfully or otherwise in the back ground.  So, I bundled Batman and SuperThomas and sent them out.  I did the dishes.  In the warm, not insanely bright house.  I might repeat this even on not depressed days!


After lunch and quiet times we enjoyed snow ice cream.  It was pretty yummy.  SuperT "Yiked" it, but didn't eat it.  He put pink sprinkles on his.

'

Batman had fun stirring in chocolate and pink heart sprinkles. He thoroughly enjoyed his.  This has become a new snowy day tradition for us.  

This was Tuesday.  In retrospect I'm pretty proud of my choice.  I let them play outside by themselves in a predefined space where I could watch while doing dishes.  I was nervous because SuperT is only 2 1/2, as well as pretty stubborn and free spirited.  It took a few gentle reminders (and a neighbor catching me out in the snow in my pjs and boots!!) for him to get it, but he did.  They had fun outside and I got the dishes done.  Win/win!!

In the past I've had to either give up on dishes and go outside (which on a bright sunny snow-day pretty much guarantees a migraine!) or fight with them inside.  Bored children suffering from cabin fever with a fairly depressed mom results in nothing but tears and hurt.  

I can't say this week has been a real success though.  Monday and Tuesday I dealt with depression, Wednesday I was knocked flat with a migraine and managed only basic care for the kids, thanks to an amazing neighbor.  I feel more like myself today though!  I'm hoping I can manage to make up for it before the weekend.  

3 comments:

  1. Hello Sara! I found your site from the Mom Blog to Money Blog. I homeschooled my daughter from the 2nd grade on. She is now a Senior i college with a 3.8 GPA! Homeschoolers rock!

    I am glad to meet you and look forward to learning about making money and blogging with you and all the others in the group!

    Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes they do rock! Some of the coolest families I know homeschool! I look forward to meeting many new moms on the community! Yay for your daughter! It's always nice to hear little bits f success stories from homeschoolers, because those who don't often only share the horror stories they've heard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your post. I must confess I had never heard of snow ice cream. It looks like it was a lot of fun. I'm glad you were able to enjoy that new freedom of having the kids play outside, even if you did feel embarrassed a few times :-) God bless!

    ReplyDelete