It's Faithful Friday Again!
Today, I didn't find any challenges on Christian Bloggers from Google+ so I'm just posting on something I discovered in my daily readings. One nice benefit I've noticed from reading through the Bible faithfully and with a plan is that I'm coming across passages I would not have thought to look up. I'm also discovering how much I didn't know was there. The best part though.... God's really revealing Himself to me.
This revealing happens through prayerfully reading God's Word in its entirety. I haven't actually read ALL of God's Word, but I can't wait until I can smile over that accomplishment. I have, in reading straight through in chronological order, read the back story as I headed into Joshua 9 on Monday. That's the passage I'm going to be blogging on today. You will need to read up on it to get my points in this post. I would post the scriptures here, but I really want you to open your own Bible and be blessed as I have. I suggest starting in Joshua 1.
Alrighty then. Chapter 9 at last!! In verse 3 we learn that Israel's reputation precedes them. They've had a bit of God's faithful provision haven't they? Joshua has led them, by God's hand from city to city conquering the peoples miraculously and strategically. The inhabitants of Gibeon realize they have no chance of survival by playing fair.... So they get 'crafty' and set out to mislead Israel.
This shouldn't be a problem for this people who has returned to God once again, right? I mean, surely they would seek council from God Almighty right? They have learned from their past mistakes haven't they?! Read Joshua 9:14.
They did not seek God for His faithful and protecting council. Now read Joshua 9:3-14 again to refresh yourself on the back story. Back stories are everything in the Bible. You can so easily misinterpret scripture if you don't know the context and history behind it.
I have to say it would be very easy to make the same mistake Joshua and the Israelites made. Just put yourself in his sandals for a bit, won't you?
Joshua was confronted by a whole town of people, not just one. The people of Gibeon were saying that they were seeking an alliance with Israel because they had heard of their God and all that He did. Not only that but they were pretending to be from far away, not within the land God had promised them. Their seeking of God must have sealed the deal for Joshua. Anyone claiming faith in the one true God should be protected, right? Still I wonder what God would have told them to do had they sought Him out. As it turns out, He knew what the sons of Israel would do, and what would come of it. As stated in Romans, He worked it out for the good of those who love Him, according to His purpose. I find that so comforting.
Where are you at in your daily reading of scripture? Let me encourage you, I only started faithfully reading Gods word regularly in mid February. It has been a huge blessing to me. I miss it when I poorly prioritize. In fact I've been behind since getting sick this Tuesday. It's driving me insane. I'll be getting caught up a little at a time. I really want to finish reading the whole bible in a year, so I can't skip ahead! That alone helps me not get too far behind.
If you haven't yet today, pick up your bible.
No comments:
Post a Comment