I have so many ideas going through my head for kindergarten next year! I just can't stop thinking about it. Especially while I'm laid up with sick kids. SuperThomas is still sick.
So today I looked up our local homeschool conference. There will be lots of vendors, curriculum and workshops to choose from. Before the cost always seemed high ($35) but now that I KNOW we'll benefit from it I can't wait to register!
Here's a link to the Nebraska conference information.
Weekly Schedule
Though I enjoy the amount of freedom and flexibility that learning from home offers I know we will need structure to survive. Without at least a little planning it will be hard to make sure we get everything accomplished. There are certain amounts of hours that need to be completed for certain subjects etc to meet state guidelines. So we'll have a daily and weekly schedule. Here's what I'm thinking for daily themes!
Monday
Make it Monday -craft to seal in the weekly theme
Or...
Movement Monday - nature walk, soccer, outdoor games, large movement
Tuesday
Tinker Tuesday - use Legos, tinker toys, mechanical things or science experiments to enhance the theme/unit
(Tuesdays will be busy because a majority of the school year we will be doing Good News Club, a CEF Ministry)
Wednesday
Word Wednesday - more emphasis on words, language arts, writing etc
Wacky Wednesday - out of the box learning, sensory or messy play
Wonderful Wednesday - discovering the wonderful world
Weird Wednesday - focus on weird facts about the animals we learn about.
Thursday
Thinking/Thoughtful Thursday - critical thinking, problem solving, creative thinking
Theatrical Thursday - acting out what we've learned
Friday
Friday Funday - field trips, more involved art projects, freedom to revisit any previous units or projects. Possibly even just bum around. I think My Fathers World curriculum is 4 day based.
Freestyle Friday - free learning, taking kids interests from the lesson and helping them research to their hearts content. They can choose a topic or go over one we've already learned.
I really like the idea of a four day school week with a fifth day focused on fun or playful leaning and review.
**I started this post yesterday. Now, after editing this it's 5 till 11:00 and I am the only healthy person in the house. Everybody has come down with influenza but me. I am now off to serve lunch to the three loves of my life before making sure this house is in excellent condition before I get hit with the sickies.
No comments:
Post a Comment